Thursday, October 04, 2007

My First Very Own Garment!

I had an assignment in my Pattern Making class to make a dress from my princess torso block that I had drafted. I decided to make something similar to a dress that Go Fug Yourself posted on Cameron Diaz.

I fell in love with this dress when I saw it, and I would go back and look at the picture every once in a while, wishing I had this dress! It's so simple, but the design lines and pleating make it a bit sophisticated while still keeping a cute, mod look.

I had a hard time at first with the waistband, but after I got past that point it was smooth sailing on out. This dress is a tiny bit different than Cameron's, but I feel that it captures the same idea. I love the waistband, neckband, pleated front and attached hems. I totally forgot to put in the pockets at the front seams, but those aren't really necessary. The one that Cameron was wearing has a bit more of an A-Line cut on the skirt, the front pleats are wider, the waistband is a bit higher up and well the dress is a lot shorter than mine. The original dress' sleeves are raglan and that may be beyond my abilities at this point in time. I just drafted regular old sleeves.

So here is mine, in muslin of course:

Please excuse my jeans, I was too lazy to take them off....

Pleated front detail:

Now, my muslin came out great and my instructor loved it. I just hope that the paper pattern matches up and is notched correctly!

I cannot wait to buy some fabric for this and make a real dress out of it! I am contemplating a large plaid for fall or maybe a nice jewel toned silk for the holidays. Not too sure though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog from patternreview.com and your posts are so interesting! I can't wait to see more! I'd also love to see the blue dress that you made for the wedding in August turned out!!