I came home from work a bit late today, about 5:30 and checked my e-mail, as I always do. I got the weekly recipe e-mail from BHG and found a recipe for pumpkin pancakes. I decided that I needed to make dinner for my dad and thought I should make these to include in a nice fall meal. I went to the store and got the ingredients and some butternut squash soup, Cannellini beans and carrots.
We definitely had lots of the color orange in our dinner tonight. I made the pumpkin pancakes with whole wheat flour and they were absolutely delish! I, of course, added some cinnamon and nutmeg as well. The butternut squash soup was the Campbell's brand in a box with some sour cream, paprika, pepper and the beans added in.
I wish I had taken a picture of everything. Oh well... It was an awesome dinner and I very highly recommend BHG.com. You will definitely find a wide variety of recipes for any meal, and even better is that you can save your recipes and rate and comment on them as well. BHG gets my two thumbs up!
In other news... It seems that Southern California is amongst another firestorm. It's really quite sad, so many people have lost their homes now... I must say that I am thankful that we haven't had another fire by our house again. There was one in 2003 and then again in 2004 in the mountains behind our house. It was really quite nerve racking. The fire in the mountains in '03 was the conglomeration of two fires, one from the West and the other from the East. They both met up at the same time behind our neighborhood. The fire was so hot and close that I remember feeling the heat on my skin, and it was really hot! Even with it that close they didn't feel a need to evacuate us. The following year the fire was a few miles away and the firefighters went around to all the houses telling us to prepare to evacuate if they came around a second time. I'm so glad that those firefighters never came again.
The fire from the West:
The fire from the East:
I guess that no matter where you live, there is a price you pay. Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, fires, earthquakes... I feel so lucky that at that time we had enough firefighters to protect us. It doesn't seem to be the case this time around. The winds are just so powerful and strong and the brush so dry from the lack of rain this past year. It's so strange though, up here it's been perfectly still and clear, you look down into the surrounding valleys and the sky is so orangey-brown-grey from the smoke from the 14+ fires. We've called in neighboring states for help, but they just cannot get here soon enough. I just wish and hope for the best of luck for those people affected this time around, I pray that they are at least safe.
No comments:
Post a Comment