Sunday, October 28, 2007

Corpse Bride Costume Completed... Barely!

So I finished my costume for my honey's party. Boy was it the most stressful 3 days ever! I just wanted to be a French Maid again, but my honey wouldn't let me do it... He insisted I be the Corpse Bride. Ha ha... Crazy guy. He was Tommy Lee, although everyone else was calling him Nikki Sixx. Whatever, it's the same band, right? And for good measure I am also putting up a picture of my brother and his girlfriend. They were Prince and Bettie Page.

The man and myself:

Full Length Pic:

Bettie Page and Prince:

Doesn't my brother have a slight resemblance to Prince???

So I wasn't able to do everything that I said I wanted to do... I couldn't appliqué the ribs onto my corset. I was not able to sew a ruffle onto the skirt, and no blue dye. I forgot to get lavender from my backyard to put in my veil. I didn't make the yarn wig. We had to buy a purple one, that we noticed was a child's wig when it was too late. That thing was moving around all over the place!

But I was able to wear the main costume and it did turn out to slightly resemble the Corpse Bride! Everyone who had seen the movie knew exactly who I was. So that is really all that counts.

I made the corset from Vogue 8325, combining the front of view A with the back of view C so that there were no ties and grommets to deal with. The skirt, which I do not have any good pictures of, I drafted myself about 2 hours before the party started. It was a cinch to sew up. I just took my skirt block and drafted a trumpet flare on the fronts and back. I also made sure to extend the center fronts so that it would have a wrap effect. I also drafted a straight waistband to hold everything together.

So in the end I was able to finish the important parts of the costume and I think that I can say it turned out to be a success!

In other news, yesterday we had some rain in So Cali, the weather definitely did work in the firefighters' favor.

No comments: