Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Yeah... I'm On A Roll!

Well, I'm on a roll as far as baking and cooking are concerned. Minimal sewing, knitting, embroidery is going on at best.

I was able to hem a pair of Frankie B's that my honey bought me for Christmas/my birthday. They were about 5 inches too long. I wish I could stress to American clothing manufacturers that there are still short, skinny people in existence! Or maybe even just short people... I remember reading in the New York Times last year that many department stores are ridding their racks of their petite clothing lines. It isn't like it affects me that much as most petite clothes seem to be aimed towards the 50+ age groups. My complaints really don't go that far beyond the changing rooms anyway. Usually I just cuff my jeans, but these were definitely not cuffable, they were just too flared to be lazy.


I used the Blind Hem method as shown on BurdaStyle. I have actually used this method before, but I made the mistake of cutting the excess fabric off from the fold. DO NOT do that unless you serge or finish it somehow or your fabric will eventually unravel... Yep, I learned from my mistake, it's a good thing that they were a much cheaper pair of jeans than these ones.

That's all the sewing I have done, other than attempting to sew a curtain for my honey's house. But as I said before, I have been on a roll with the baking and the cooking! Yesterday I made Creme Brulee! Last time I attempted this, I undercooked it and burned the tops, I'm not sure how I did that. They came out nice this time around. I only wish I had a kitchen torch, but I will just caramelize some sugar on the stove for now. This was really fast and easy, I got this recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. I absolutely love this book, it's great for beginners and contains some timeless classics. Last night I was telling my mom how I can't wait to graduate to my Martha Stewart Living Cookbook. I know I have made many recipes from the magazine, but I feel intimidated by this 600+ page book! The recipes are also much more complicated than in my BHG Cookbook.


And just in case you are wondering... I ran out of ramekins and used an extra custard dish.

On to the next kitchen project... I made cheese souffle! It is really quite fast and easy. I had always wanted to make a souffle, but gave in to the horror stories about how they didn't rise or always burned. Well I don't know what I was so scared about!


I beat the eggs fluffy in my electric mixer and was able to fold the cheese batter into the fluff quite easily. This recipe is again, from my BHG Cookbook. I think chocolate souffle is next on my list.


This is the ooey gooey cheesy batter.


And the batter being folded into the egg whites.

I also made Texas Cake and steamed Orange Roughy with Tomato-pepper Butter and Avocado Salsa and Rice in the past two weeks. I don't have pictures of the fish, but the cake I do. It really doesn't look that appetizing to me but my dad requested, so I had to oblige!


I do want to say one more thing about sewing. I just bought the newest issue of SewStylish and it is quite wonderful! Please buy it if you have the chance. I think they are starting to dive into more creative and complicated sewing and pattern making issues in this magazine. There are quite a few articles on draping. I just need to either make myself a dress form or go buy one now. I can't wait to read this issue!


And just because... Here's Charlie!


One more thing...


I went to a Victorian Fair two weeks ago at the Homestead Museum in the City of Industry. My mom always has a table there selling her teabag folding. If you live in the Southern California area or are visiting, you should definitely check it out. I think the next one is in December. There are games for kids, an old fashioned baseball game, tours of the houses, workshops, flowers, food and best of all a Victorian Fashion Show! There are quite a few people walking around with authentic handmade Victorian Fashions. I only wish that I got a picture of one of the women... But I did get this picture of a restored bicycle!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. I love sewing and baking too! Charley looking good too.