Thursday, May 01, 2008

Baking!


Since it was my honey's birthday on Earth Day, I decided that I would make him some yummy cupcakes. These cupcakes were made from scratch and were actually very quick and easy. The recipe came from the May 2008 issue of Food & Wine. This article addressed cupcakes in a mix and match manner. There were recipes for Golden Cake and Chocolate Cake as well as three different types of frostings; Buttercream, Chocolate and Marshmallow. With these different frostings there were quite a few different variations in which you can mix in different ingredients. I chose the Strawberry Shortcake variation, since my honey cannot resist strawberry shortcake. All I did was make the golden cake cupcakes, the buttercream frosting and mix in some strawberry jelly with the frosting and top the cupcakes with fresh sliced strawberries.




I actually learned a one new thing from this experience! You don't have to waste time slicing strawberries, you can just slice them with your egg slicer! I thank Martha Stewart for that tip. i must admit I didn't even know what an egg slicer was until about 3 months ago...


Since I felt like continuing in my baking mood I also decided to make Baby's Buttons over the weekend. This recipe came from the April 2008 issue of Food & Wine! Surprisingly, these were very fast and easy also! Honey ate these all by himself in about 3 days since I am not much of a sweets person. If you do somehow get a hold of this recipe, be careful, butter is the main ingredient!


So this is what I have been doing lately. The cupcakes helped to get my mind off of family tragedy that I mentioned in my previous post. Things are definitely adjusting without Barkley and Charlie is doing better. I have been taking him on a walk whenever I can, about every other day. He loves it, so that's good. We keep him inside for fear of the mountain lion coming back. My poor mom calls him Barkley though!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That has sealed it! I am going to make some blueberry muffins now.