Thursday, May 17, 2007

Yay! I'm Done!

Well with Beginning Patternmaking. Of course I procrastinated a bit, not too much though. I stayed up until 4:30 AM and got up at 7 AM to finish. But it was all worth it... I got an A! I just hope I got an A on the in class final.

The take home assignment was to pick out an article of clothing from a magazine or catalog, etc. and draft a pattern from it with our block. I actually took a picture that I saved from an Anthropologie catalog two years ago and used it as my design.

Here is my flat pattern version:

There were some mistakes. Mostly I forgot to notch at some places, like the darts in the bust. And I was misled about seam allowance notching at the midriff by the handouts given on notching in class. Oh and I somehow forgot that the sleeve is a full puff sleeve and for some reason drafted a puff at the hem only. But other than that, I am very pleased. If only I was able to make it with my own personal block... Oh well.

Speaking of my personal block, I did get that back and I also got an A on it. This means that I am good to go on designing my own clothing now! WOO HOO!!!

Another pic:

Well, I'm still going to make another muslin out of it to see if it does fit correctly, we did quite a bit of tweaking like slimming the area of hip placement and taking it out a bit lower. We also did some major changing of the bust darts. I did trace a size 4 block for the top, but we did have to extend it down quite a bit because I do have a long torso, and that would mean I would need to move the bust darts as well. We also had to square the shoulders a bit more because apparently mine don't slope so much!

And just for finishing this class I bought my self some bee-you-ti-ful silk fabric from Fabric Mart that happens to be from Anna Sui.


I want to make a dress from it. Here's a great example of the fabric and a design of Anna Sui at Anthropologie. Pretty isn't it?

I can't wait to get it!

No comments: