Thursday, April 12, 2007

New Shirt Alert! Also A Love for Embroidery Rediscovered.


















Here she is!

I finished Simplicity 3882! I made MANY small changes and I love the way it came out! I must say I did well for sewing a knit. I hated knits... It's a grey jersey knit I bought as a very large remnant from JoAnn's a long while ago. And the lining is a black jersey knit with little white skulls from ReproDepot.

Cute, huh? Well, I plan on making the other version of this pattern sometime soon, but I have to get past my HUGE new collections first.

Good thing these fabrics were mostly bought with patterns or projects in mind already. See the patterns on the top of the right hand pile? I have a new found love for sewing again. It may be fueled by the fact that I know I can fix/alter patterns to fit or look good on me now. Yep that's right, I'm taking a pattern drafting class at my local community college! To be honest with you, I wanted to go to FIDM since I was in high school, but now I am so very glad that I did not waste my money there. This class is definitely worth the $3o I paid for it!

That there is my midterm for a medium cowl bodice. I'm also taking a Fashion in World Cultures class and am in love with this one as well! I must admit I did not know where t-shirts originated from until last Thursday.

I also have quite a few new projects going: two embroidery projects and a knit scarf. I finally decided to pull out my embroidery hoops, needles and floss. I found a Sublime Stitching kit that I bought way back in 2002 from ReproDepot (long standing loyal customer here!) And I just bought her newest book! But anyway... I decided that my loving boyf and his housemates need at least one dishtowel and started one for them. It's coming along quite nicely and I'm actually almost done.

The next embroidery project is a Happy Spring card for my Gramma. I took a picture of some tulips in our backyard and framed it for her and am sending it over with my mom on Sunday, since I have to work :( . The card to go with it is a design I got from one of my new books, The New Crewel: Exquisite Designs in Contemporary Embroidery. I scanned the design and then just traced it onto the cardstock from my computer screen. I unfortunately do not have the wool thread/yarn for crewel so I'm just using what I have from my floss collection. I've been punching the holes into the cardstock with an embroidery needle and that has taken a toll on my hands. Geeze what a workout for my fingers!

As for the scarf, I started to make it for my dad because he was supposed to go to Washington, D.C., but that was canceled. So I'm taking my time on that now, it hasn't exactly been cold enough in So Cali for a wool scarf anyway.

I found the pattern at Smariek Knits. She has some wonderful patterns on her blog, I must say. And this scarf is looking quite sharp! It's really quite easy too.

And finally, my last project. A work in progress since 2003, well more like a work put on hold for 4 years and now back in progress...

Can you see the date on my layout? Well, it says "6/13/03" and "first cut on 9/22/03." Ha ha... I've started piecing the squares together again and decided to join a Quilt-Along over at Craftster. I guess we'll see how this goes.

Okay that's, finally, all for now. I really need to get to sleep anyways I have a lot of cutting and taping to do in the morning, we're doing skirts.

No comments: